Monday 17 March 2008

Is your motivation flagging?

This week, I thought I’d look at the subject of Motivation for small business owners, especially as I had some classic ‘I don’t want to do this’ moments last week and then felt guilty because I hadn’t done as much as I thought I should have. Has that ever happened to you?

When I explored in more depth why I should be feeling like this, I uncovered the following 3 factors:

1. Over the previous 4 weeks I’d been working 14 hour days, mostly hunched over the computer.


2. I had worked every weekend since the beginning of the year.

3. I was just plain tired!

Was it really any surprise that my motivation had taken a dip? I had to do something.
First, and most obvious, I needed to recharge my batteries, so I took the whole weekend off. OK, so I did turn the computer on for a couple of hours yesterday to check emails, but that was all. I rested, I read a book, I caught up on sleep, I switched off.

I know that it will take more than one weekend off to put things right – but it’s a start.
This morning (Monday), I am getting on with things. I’ve got a meeting with my
coach later on and know that I’ll be fired up afterwards. But how long for? .....

No comments: