Monday 18 August 2008

Forward planning means you can act quickly

One of the many benefits of working for myself is that I can plan to do exactly what I want to do when I want to do it, pretty much most of the time.

During my corporate career, I was well-known for organising my workload so that deadlines were met.

It’s second nature for me to forward plan, although I know that isn’t the case for everyone.

Some of my business coaching clients have protested “Oh, I much prefer to be spontaneous, it’s more fun that way!” when I suggest they plan ahead. I shudder when I find out that some of these people don’t even have written business or marketing plans before they start working with me.


I find that having a very clear plan of what needs doing and by when, puts me firmly in control. It allows me to build in contingency time in case of any unexpected ‘surprises’ and that in turn reduces my stress levels.


Forward planning has enabled me to take on new projects while keeping on top of existing ones. I can see at a glance what needs doing and by when.

I’ve noticed that very successful business people use forward planning and organisation to help them take advantage of new opportunities. They may do this themselves or delegate it. The point is that by having their finger on the pulse of their business, they are able to act quickly when they need to and not jeopardise their current commitments.

If forward planning is good enough for them, it’s good enough for me!


What’s your best forward planning tip? I’d love to know.

No comments: