Wednesday 25 June 2008

Routines can get too comfortable

Talking to a client yesterday, she suddenly said:
"I want to find a different way of doing this! I don't want to be the same as everyone else!"
She got me thinking about how we tend to search for a tried and tested way, rather than striking out on our own. There are both pros and cons with this.


Since that conversation, I've been having a look at how I work in my business.

I try to spend a little time each day learning something new. It's one of my routines. Just like checking emails at certain times, replying to client queries within 24 hours, writing the newsletter twice a month. Routines are needed to make sure nothing important is forgotten. But some routines can also stifle change, and often they're only there because they're comfortable.

To be absolutely honest - some of my business routines are really only there because I've been too lazy to change them. No longer! I'm going to look at each routine closely and assess if it needs to be changed to benefit the business.

What routines do you have in your business that are in need of an overhaul?

No comments: