Tuesday 15 April 2008

Being Productive AND Effective

I talk a lot in my workshops about the difference between busy work and effective work. I'm sure you know what I mean. Those days when you feel as if you haven't stopped - but you haven't got anything to show for it! On other days you get everything on your list done. I think we all experience both types of day.

When you have your own business, your most precious asset (apart from yourself!) is your time. You cannot afford to have unproductive or ineffective days.

If you're familiar with Stephen Covey's books, you'll know about the Four Quadrants and Urgent vs. Important work. There will always be the Urgent stuff that you have to deal with every day.

After that, you have a choice. Do you do some 'busy' work that eats up your time double quick? Or do you spend your precious time working 'on your business' and growing it?

Here's a useful question to ask yourself : "Is what I'm doing right now taking me closer to achieving my goals?" If the answer is no, stop it immediately!

No comments: